Monday, April 1, 2013

The travelling husband's wife

That's me.

My husband recently got a sales job that requires him to travel often. And often means 3 weeks out of a month, he'll be out there, somewhere, selling equipment to his clients.

At first, we thought it would be hard for both of us to adapt to this change. We also thought it would be unhealthy even, for the kids to not see their father on a daily basis. However, the kids and I have proven ourselves wrong.

For a start, I told myself not to get too sentimental whenever the husband's away. After all, the world doesn't stop spinning just because he's away. So, I made myself visit the kids often at my mum's place, sometimes even staying over, went on a regular swimming routine with a friend, do some light window shopping after work, catch a movie, do some housework, whatever it takes to keep myself occupied.

And then there's technology. We chat on Whatsapp, the kids will Skype him and when time and day permits, we would even go to the airport to pick him up. And I'll also remind the kids everyday that their Daddy loves and misses them very much.

So far, we are all coping well with this arrangement. It's just that sometimes in life there is a trade off for certain things. It is our part to manage our expectations to better deal with it. And then there are "well-meaning" people who will always say certain things they think are "well-meaning" but ah well, you know better.

To all the other travelling husband's wives, you are all strong and independent women. Don't let people tell you otherwise.

5 comments:

Madeline Heng said...

Must be really hard not to see your husband everyday. I know, because my dad worked overseas and I only get to see him like 4 times a year. Glad you are coping well :)

life-muse said...

Thanks Madeline. I think its harder for the husband to adapt lol.

Missus Tay said...

i know what you mean. something just doesn't feel quite right without the husband around. thankfully we have our kids to distract us!

Missus Tay said...

I know what you mean! Feels like something is missing whenever the husband is away. Thankfully, we have our kids to distract us. Hang in there!

life-muse said...

Hi Missus Tay, thank you for dropping by! Yes thankfully I have the kids to keep me occupied too but I usually leave them at my mums place and then there'll be the mummys guilt! Ahhhh!! Hahaha.